Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"How Bad Do You Want It?"


Something I've learned being a businessman, a vocation in which I have engaged for 25 years as a means of supporting my teaching habit: Sometimes, you have to decide how badly you want the gold at the end of your rainbow, or in this case, the treasure chest beneath your sea, because reward is seldom realized without risk. It's a good idea, however, to calculate the risk before "going (diving) for it." If the odds were one to one (one shark, one diver), I think I'd still bet against the diver in the foreground, whose impatient preoccupation with the treasure chest may be clouding his perception of the situation (his back is to the sharks), but eight sharks and four divers? I'd say this one is a no-brainer: Sharks four, divers zip! Moral to the mousterpiece: Plan carefully; keep one eye on the prize and the other on the obstacles (sharks) in your way. You'll live longer, be happier, have more time to enjoy the prize and, hopefully, you'll be inclined to utilize much of that time to engage in activities more satisfying than the prize itself: That of sharing the prize with others and assisting those less fortunate. Aside: I usually don't moralize, which is what this comment sounds like. Sorry. I prefer to leave moralizing to others, although, at times, I've been known to dispense take-it-or-leave-it advice, which is a little less presumptuous than moralizing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good advice. And a cool picture. I like paintings that have an ocean theme. You do oceans really well.

Hermit King said...

Wes,
Very Very cool, do you have prints or just originals?
Mike Fotheringham